Silent Love Part: 20
Doctor asked Radhika to try on liquids, she was feeling so nauseated, that she took few sips and curled under the sheet. She asked for more sheets to cover her body to keep her warm. She heard Nani asking about the flowers and the credit automatically went to the hospital staff, she thanked them again and the changed shift accepted it with a smile on their face.Nani sat there till evening walking back and forth to doctor’s office and trying to wake up Radhika to munch on something, but the food remained cold and the fruit basket left untouched. One half peeled orange was still sitting on the plate, she tried few chews, but felt so bitter. The doctor continued with fluid infusion, and asked her to try even if she feels that bitterness.
Finally the doctor assured Nani to leave home that she will be better next day. Hesitantly she went to home.
As Nani left, Radhika tried to get up to sit herself on the bed. The nurse came “you want me to help”
Radhika nodded her head in disagreement, and tried her maximum to pull herself up, and made it half way.
Nurse encouraged her, but then feeling tired, she lay back saying : I am fine, let me take rest for some more time.
“ok, my shift will be done soon, so the next nurse will be here to check on you, do you want me to get anything now?’
“no, I am fine”
Saying that she again curled in.
As the nurse stepped out, Dev got in. He saw her under cover, even with covering her face. Still the fluid going on, the fruits left untouched. He forced his lips in to make a bulge, keeping his arms over his flank, studying the situation.
“do I need to pour that water on your face or you will wake up”
He said little loud. Suddenly the cover moved away and she turned to look at him
“good, so no need to get the bucket, and no need to climb this hospital stairs”
Radhika straightening herself: what?
“you canot even get up from this bed, then I only have to carry this bed to the terrace right, after it getting all wet”
Radhika took a minute but then she realized that he is teasing her, and her eyes went little wide, as if telling him that she got it.
Dev pulling a chair near: so how are you feeling now?
‘you look fresh’
“um, took a room in nearby town and had a good sleep, so”
“didn’t you go home,? Today you have office too na”
“ha, if I had gone home, you think I can be back like this fresh, I took leave today, and for tomorrow too”
“because of me?”
“no Radhika, for me, for my promise” his voice softened
Radhika looked at him in question, and then “promise?’
Dev acted not to listen to it, and asked: so, tell me how are you?
“no you tell me , what promise?’
Dev looked at her face, and leaning forward his frontal body near to her face, looking into her eyes, he said : Ha Radhika, a promise, which I gave to my friend, before touching her feet to take her out from that hall, that I will fulfill her dreams, .... and I need to Radhika, and I need your help for that, I cannot sail alone to get there, will you help me”
Radhika just looked into his eyes trying to understand his words
Dev continued: I lost one friend who was sharing a special relationship with me, not a mom, but more of a friend, I respected her, I loved her, we shared few special moments, and I loved her company too, but now I need a friend, to fill that vacuum she left in me, so can you be my friend, please”
He extended his hand out for her to hold on
“Radhika, please tell me, can you be my friend”
Radhika looked into his eyes, and it just forced her to move her hand out and unknowingly she held his
A tear drop filled in his eyes, but with a smile he covered it, and then put his other hand over hers, giving it more strength.
And he mumbled softly: thank you
He was able to regain his self back and: so did you miss me ?
She smiled and tried to take her hand out
He took away his covering hand but the other one just followed her hand and rested over hers
Radhika: you tell me, did you miss me?
“of course Radhika, so only I am here, right?’ with a wide smile on his face to lighten his words
“do you ask this to everyone whom you meet?”
She asked curiously
“see, just now we became friends and you want to know more about me”
“dev”
“ok baba, um, not really, to few, I don’t know, may be to all, or maybe to someone special”
“DEV”
“what?”
“nothing”
Dev playing with her fingers in his : tell me so did you get permission to eat?
“ha, but I didn’t feel like”
“no wonder all these fruits are still left untouched, tell you frankly Radhika, I am feeling so hungry, this place is so new to me, and finally when I found a place to rest, I can only remember my head hitting that soft bed, then I woke up just now and the time reminds me off your poor Nani, so I ran to here to meet you, and in that struggle forgot to eat’
Leaving her hand, he got up: anyway its for you , right?, and as a friend I have the right on it too, right?
She just nodded her head with a smile
He looked at the basket:, Oh my! What to pick Radhika, so many to chose from” he looked at her and said “ which one you like”
She smiled again
“um, why should I ask you, let me pick my choice, picking for me , right?”
He picked a grapes bunch and went, washed it well and came near and sat back on the chair
“what is this Radhika, you are still lying like a sick person, remember what you told me today morning, come get up”
“no, I am fine”
“so only I said, come sit up”
Placing the grapes back in a plate, he moved to lift her up, without even asking her permission, holding her shoulder, he moved her up, and she held his upper arm tight and rested her chin over his shoulder.
Feeling so closer , he said : see I told you my shoulder have enough strength to hold you safe, but still you don’t trust me right.
Radhika just gulped , didn’t say anything
Dev moved slightly back, and facing Radhika’s face he said : see look at you, you are holding me strong , thinking I may leave you, right
Radhika didn’t say anything
But looking at her eyes he said : no Radhika, how can i? you are my friend, who is so dear to me, so I won’t let my friend to lose it, maybe it will be hard later, but I am ready to take it, and I am sure I won’t lose it at all but your hold on me, will surely give me that strength to move on.
Radhika rested back onto the popped up pillow, and looked into eyes
And to change the seriousness, Dev: ok baba, now let me have my grapes ok
He picked one and showed to Radhika, and she just nodded her head with refusing it
He tried to take one, but then showed a grin face saying “oh ya, its so bitter, so you already knew it and didn’t tell me, not fair Radhika
He kept that away and picked an apple; repeated the same
Picking an Ornage he said what you think of this?
She didn’t say anything
Dev: say it before, I am hungry , I cannot take it anymore
Dev tasted that first and said : um, good one, no excuse, try it
She slowly opened her lips and took a small bite
“its good Radhika, try one more, see this is such a small petal, and you are eating like a kid, open your mouth and have it, give me a company yar, at last when your nani comes tomorrow she gets some fresh ones for tomorrow night, um, so help me to finish it”
She tried to smile, with his talk and actions and smile, she had one orange.
The duty nurse came and impressed by Radhika’s try, she helped her to get to the washroom and get settled for the night, and like the night before she asked Dev to call her in case of need and left the place
“are you not going ?’
Asked Radhika
Dev looked at her and said: you want me to?
“you might be tired na?’
“not really, but if you want me to, then I can, are you feeling sleepy?’
“not right now”
“see, now you look more fresh, so tell me did you ask the doctor about the fluids?”
She smiled and he kept her engaged with his talks and her plans to go back to college, and in between finished that grapes too, … saying about his hungriness few hours later he picked that apple too, giving her one piece, he finished the rest.
“now go to sleep Radhika, you may be feeling tired”
“no Dev, actually I am feeling more energetic now”
“really, then let’s go for a walk”
“walk!”
“um, come, I can hold you, I am sure you will feel good, then they will send you home too, and I can tell Shanti madam too”
“Dev, you are in a hurry”
Dev looking into her eyes: Ha Radhika, I am in a hurry, I wish to take you now itself with me, so that you can rejoin college tomorrow only, I don’t want you to lose anymore classes Radhika, you need to be in, that’s what everyone wants, its not late yet, but your condition is what making me feel worried now, get up Radhika, you need to fight back, you need to let me win, I am here with you, please”
Radhika was unable to sit back that she moved the cover, he helped her to stand on, she held him at the neck level and he wrapped his arms around her upper back to give her more strength while helping her to be on her feet, he took a deep sigh seeing her listening to him, feeling her holding onto him, he took her into his embrace for a moment to reassure her losing mind of her confidence and then , brought that IV pole near and then made her to hold onto it. She was not feeling that great to leave his neck and holding that iron bar. Standing next to her, he made her to wrap her arm around his back, he held that pole with one hand and wrapped other arm around her upper back.
Radhika looked at him with a smile of confidence saying now she can walk on.
She took her steps, and they paused near the window one time looking out, but then he made her to get back and sit in that chair for few minutes. She felt shivering and he got the cover, they just talked about Nani, Pari, Mahi,……then after sometime, he made her to step out from the room and walk on the corridor little bit, she never knew that she was this weak, she was able to walk around fine till that morning, then suddenly what happened, she doesn’t knew, but now after doing this small steps she herself felt better, along with his talk. The time passed and the energy was coming back, she rested in between, but his instillations of giving her things to do and talking about her self, and finally she felt tired
“Dev, I am really tired’
Dev smiled and took her back to her room. She held that IV pole by herself and walked with him. She was able to make it to the washroom by herself. And came back with a smile,
“see I told you, when you do it yourself, you will really feel good, so now No more depends on others ok,’
She smiled back.
He said “and that is a promise you are giving to your friend, ok”
“dev’
Saying that she pulled that pole near to the bed “now I am really feeling tired”
“I know, so take rest, I am also leaving soon”
She lay in bed and he tucked her in, she with a smile looked at him, and said : when are you leaving?
“Radhika, don’t worry, I will leave. Ok, look at the time, I am so new here and don’t know these roads and all, so I will leave towards morning , for now, you sleep, I will be around here and there, ok”
She never thought of the time, she felt bad that she asked him like that “sorry Dev, I didn’t look at the time”
“don’t worry Radhika, you look tired, you sleep now, ok”
Radhika slowly closed her eyes, and Dev went and sat near her, and held her softly in his, and sat there looking at her sleeping face “I knew Radhika, my words are not going to get into you until you believe in yourself, so only I couldn’t go, I need to make you to do it, or else, you will curl up like that and cover your face, I won’t let that happen. I need you to come back”
He brought her hand near his lips and gave a soft kiss over her finger, and sat in same position till the sun spread his lights all around.
Radhika opened her eyes to the nurse's call, and then slowly looked at her, but then realizing him near by she looked sideways, but the space was empty
“he left maa’m, he brought this new bunch of flowers for you’
Radhika sittitg up straight in bed looked at those flowers
Nurse was straightening the room, she asked : who is he maa’m?
She looked at her , and said with a smile : my friend
“very good friend, “
Mom, my shift is over, I am glad you are able to sit up by yourself, I can help you to the washroom
Radhika with a smile, moved the sheet and asked : can you take this needle off
“ let me ask the duty doctor, you didn’t eat anything yesterday na”
‘no I did, you saw me na, also i was walking around too, I am feeling better, please take this off”
The doctor came and checked on her, and she promised she will eat better, and with an agreement he discontinued the fluid , keeping that needle still in.
Radhika got up with minimum help and made it herself to the washroom. Washing her face, she looked into her reflection, the water drops were making its trail down, she saw her real face, how much it changed, she remembered his words, and slowly walked out drying her face.
She went near the flower bunch and took that in her hand, and she found a note and she read
‘goodorning friend,
sorry I didn’t feel like waking you up, after all all that walks and all last night, I need to go now, I will try calling you, if lucky I may get you, but otherwise, Santhi madam will be coming, just say your mind to Nani, whatever it is, and I hope that will surely go with your promise to fulfill my promise, now don’t waste any time and eat that warm breakfast, ok”.. take care
your friend,
Dev.
she smiled and looked at the open widnow, and the gentle breeze circled around....
No comments:
Post a Comment