Monday, December 26, 2011

Silent Love Part : 19

Silent Love Part :19
Nani was there with her restless mind, near Radhika’s bed but then left home listening to Doctor’s assurance.  Dev hid behind those big pillar seeing tired nani walking down the hospital hall way.
As she left, he took a deep sigh and went near the enquiry and asked about Radhika’s room number, and then took faster steps to reach near the room. The smell of the cleaning solution filled the air reminding him that it is a hospital. The door was half way closed, and first with hesitance but then confidently he knocked
A nurse appeared  near the door
Dev: Radhika
 “ha, she is still sleeping”
 “can I” he  signaled his hand asking permission
 “ha, come in,  are you related to her?’
His eyes were looking at the bed only to see her face “hu, ha”
 “Are you going to be here for some time?’
Dev looked at her face, and said : ha, can I?
 “sure,  I will be back ok, call me if you need any help, or if she opens her eyes ok, she fell on the floor and was crying in pain, so she got some medication, she will be sleeping only for some more time”
 “ji”
She left closing the door behind.
Dev walked in, and then looked at her sleeping face.
He sat towards the head end in that little space, and seeing her state, he was unable to hold back, his trembling hand moved up, and crossing over her face, it touched her forehead and slowly he stroked over her head, threading his fingers  thru her hair. He leaned over, and then rested his head near hers, and called out deep from his heart: Radhikaaa
Few drops of tears escaped from his eyes
 “I told you, and you didn’t listen to me na. you know what I was trying to get you out from there, so that I can bring you back to life, but you are not giving any more time, did I come that late Radhika, did I take so long to reach near you, tell me, where did I go wrong, should I have taken you with me , um, tell me, see I met santhi madam today, and we went and talked to the principal, and they all coming to meet you next week in your nanai's house,  so that they can compel Nani,  they all want to help you Radhika, their Padma’s daughter, their dearest student…   and thought I will call you and tell you to start preparing for it, just tried a chance, and then one of the servant took the phone and told me that you are in the hospital, I couldn’t hold back Radhika, I , I couldn’t, I am not that strong Radhika, I can't imagine you like this”
The time ticked by, and he opened his eyes, and then moved back to look at her face, and few minutes passed by..
Dev got up from the bed and went and washed his face. It was dark outside, he stood near the window and looked at the moon, and then as the breeze caressed his skin, he looked back again at Radhika, and found her trying to move herself to the side.
He walked near to her, and then called her softly : Radhika
She didn’t open her eyes.
He pulled the chair and sat near her, holding her hand in his , and sat there looking at her face
Time ticked by…
It was towards early morning that Radhika slowly opened her eyes, she felt heavy but, she made it. She tried to lift her hands up to rub on her eyes, the one with the needle made her feel hurt, and the other one did not move at all, she felt the warmth around her hand, that she tried to get up
She again tried to free her hand that Dev felt it
He opened his eyes and looked at Radhika ‘ Radhikaa”
She looked at his face and her eyes gone wide: Dev!!!
 “why, again got shocked to see me!’
RAdhika didn’t say anything
 “um,  tell me”
 “you here, at this time!!!!!”
 “Dev with a smile : um, someone told me that you missed me a lot, so I am here now”, so did you miss me?"
 ‘Dev, … “how you came here, when, who told you?’
 “so many questions, that means you missed me, right?’
 “Dev”
 “that I will tell you, but first tell me how you are feeling now?’
 “good”
 “any pain?’
 “muhum”
 “good, the nurse told me to call her when you open your eyes, so can I call her”
 “not now, you tell me, when you came?’
 “maybe five minutes ago?’
 “no, tell me please”
 “ok baba, I came late night, and as your hitler nani left this place, I stepped in”
 “hitler Nani?’
 “or else, she is only taking all the decisions and giving orders , right?
 “then how you came to know?’
Dev told her everything....... so the teachers are coming to meet you, and they have more programs and competitions in their list... to take part, what they do without your help... um?
 “But Dev, I don’t think I can”
Dev rubbed over her hand in his and said: yes you can, and  you know what, once you get out from here, better take care of yourself, and there is no other choice left for you, you made my job very easy now Radhika”
 “me , how”
 “see , now Nani doesn’t have any other option, she will surely send you to college, you see, otherwise your college principal will send your hitler Nani to jail  for imprisoning a very talented student in college”
Radhika tried to smile : dev
 “What?’ in a normal tone
 “nothing, you are joking”
 “no, I am not, you don’t have to think about anything, you just tell me what all you may need prior you rejoin , see, I thought in case if I get lucky I can ask you by phone, now I can ask you directly, right?’
 “Dev”
 ‘um, so make a list and tell me ok”
She didn’t say anything  but her eyes filled up
Dev noticed that and he releasing her hand , wiped of those tears and said “ Radhika, you can make it, trust yourself, and we all are with you, ok”
She just nodded her head
 “now take rest”
 “I want to get up?’
 “let me call the nurse, ok”
Dev got up and about to walk out
 “Dev, you are right”
He stopped and looked at her
 ‘it is a pain to depend on others” her voice trailed off
Dev stopped, and came near her : what did you say
Again the tear drop made its trail
Wiping those off, he asked again”tell me  again”
 “nothing”
 “now you just want to sit up, right”
She just nodded her head in agreement
 “ok then, come, I can help you”
 “no , you call the nurse”
“when I am here, why you need to call someone else, after all you are so thin , can you guess your weight now?  so I think I will be enough, come on Radhika,”
Saying that he went and extended his arms to hold her shoulder.  But then looked at her face, but then crossing her neck his right arm extended out and held her shoulder, and Radhika closed her eyes as his upper body got nearer to her to get her up. He released one arm to pull the pillow up to give her support, that she held his upper arm tight to stay still almost resting her chin over her shoulder.
He paused for a minute feeling her so close, but then  grabbed one more pillow and slowly made her to rest back over it, a slowly leaving her close proximity, , he made her to sit back comfortably
 “how are you feeling now?’
 “better”
Let me call the nurse Ok.
Radhika nodded her head.
The nurse came and checked on everything and helped her to get to the washroom, and then with a warning she said :  I am here only, don’t get up yourself ok.
As Radhika came back, she surprised to see fresh flowers in her room
Dev smiled arranging it inside near her table: you know what, the smell of this hospital around is not good at all, remind you that you are sick, hen actually you are not sick
 “see that’s what I was telling them too, to send me home, I will be fine”
Dev looked at her face, and found her eyes more sparkly: see, this time I believe you, but you should prove it too,
 “how?’
By eating and drinking well, otherwise you will end up here again and listen to these people’s orders
Radhika sat silently
 “what time your Nani comes?’
  “why, getting scared?’
 “not really, why to increase her BP unnecessarily?
Radhika smiled listening to it
He touched her nose tip and said: now itself you are feeling better, maybe the magic of all these fluids, you know  how many bags went in already
 “I don’t know”
 “um, see, that’s it, you should know Radhika, next time when the doctor comes, you ask him , ok,  and tell me”
Radhika smiled.
Dev coming near , sat near her bed and said : no Radhika, I am not joking this time, you need to take care of yourself, maybe you don’t know anyone here, maybe this place is new, and you maybe thinking of something else, but don’t give up, that is not Padma auntie’s Radhika. She knew to take care of herself, she never depend on others, she never waited for orders, then why all these now, if you want to make tea, go ahead and make it yourself, then pausing for a second he said: and keep one in another cup and when I come, give to me,
Radhika looked at him in ?
Dev continued: what if Rohan comes back again and Nani get in trap and couldn’t  tell me  to get out in front of him,.. that time you get this tea and I don’t mind how old it is, ok”
Radhika smiled again
He touched her nose tip again and said “see, keep this smile on your face, but when your Nani comes, go back to your normal self ok… and you know what otherwise she will think that you got all better, and call that American boy and make him marry you right away, so at least  don’t smile in front of her ok…  let me go now, otherwise your nani
The smile fade away from her face, and  she looked at him
Dev got up with a painful heart too, but gaining the strength he said: I will be back tonight ok, you take rest, and listen to the doctor and nurses, and ha, no more falls, this is it, no more, ok, you take care.
Radhika looked at him again
Dev: I need to go Radhika, I don’t want to put you in trouble, but I will be back, I promise
He touched her hand and slowly walked out.  He waited out near the door, and walked away once he saw nani’s face coming in…

No comments:

Post a Comment