Monday, December 26, 2011

Silent Love Part : 11

Silent Love Part : 11
The evening was cloudy that day. Dev drove into the porch, he stopped for few moments looking at her house front, no sign of her anywhere nearby. She used to water the plants no matter what time he return,  he never missed passing a smile, but now that’s also not there, he looked at those flowers, it was all looking dry. He felt sad, but a hope that she may come out quick to water them brought a small chirpy smile. of hope
As he entered inside, his eyes gone wide seeing the ladies around sitting on the sofa, munching onto hot pakoras, with steaming tea cup nearby.
 “dev, you here already!, come” Mahi exclamed
He just looked at Padma and gave a smile, and flashed his eyes to Radhika who was holding the tea cup within her both hands circled around it.
 “ha Mom, what is going on here?’
“see , soon its going to rain, so we felt like making pakoras and tea, and as sual having some ladies talk’
‘so I should not be a part of it, right?”
“It doesn’t matter Dev, you can join the gang too” Padma said while scooting herself to the side , giving him space to sit.
“oh ho, but there is no extra tea” Mahi’s face went gloomy thinking of getting up and making it, but then “Pari, go make tea for Dev, quick”
“mom, you make it” Pari crunched on that pakoras
“Radhika, go make it ,beta, please” Padma said with a pleading face
Seeing Radhika’s cold face, Dev “ it’s ok auntie, you guys have fun, I am actually having a head ache, so let me go and take some rest, you guys enjoy it”
Saying it, he was about to leave
“when you get up let me know beta, I will make tea, ok” Mahi reminded
“um” he said that while climbing the stairs, Dev glanced at Radhika who is still sitting in same posture rolling the tea cup in her hand, looking at the moms.
He speed up as he neared his room and disappeared into his room.
Coming out  from the washroom, he went near the window, and looked at those gloomy atmosphere,  ‘seems like it is going to rain soon, mom is right”
But as if listening to his words, it started pouring slowly.  Wrapping that towel around his shoulder, he stood few more minutes looking at the rain drops
“tea”
He didn’t hear it,
“TEA’
He jerked to the sound and found Radhika standing near the table with a steaming cup
As his eyes fell on her , keeping the tea cup over the table she said “ if you have headache then have this and then take rest, may be you will feel better’
His eyes just watched everything to believe its true, and he stood in trance
Radhika looked at him once and was about to turn and go, Dev realized that she is right there in his room
“Radhi…”
Before he could complete Pari showed up " Radhika, come quick,  it’s going to start now, i told you".
Radhika ran behind her
Dev went behind and his eyes followed their way down, and he peeked down and found both of them watching something on TV, and Pari saying something and laughing.
Dev turned to look at his table where she placed the tea cup for him, which is still steaming. He went near and picked it in his hand and took a sip. Walking near the window looking at the falling raindrops, he sipped onto the tea.
Moving his chair near to the window, he sat there resting his back to the leather surface of it.
But then the sound of mother and daughter grabbed his attention, and found them running towards the steps that leads to their terrace, which is in level with his window.
“mom, I can get it, you stay here, don’t worry, you go inside, I don’t want you to get wet”
“no its fine, anyway I am already wet, then what’s the big deal, let’s pick it up quick”
As they were climbing up
Padma: ho, it was almost dry and now”
“its ok mom, “
Um, you can say like that”
They went on the terrace and found the whole dress that was put for drying with dripping waters.
Padma looked at Radhika, and she looked back at Padma helpelessly
“now what is the necessary to take all these inside” Padma said loud
“that’s what I am also thinking, let’s go”
“Radhika, look at you , you are all wet’
“you too mom”
They laughed looking at each other.
“come let’s go, otherwise you may get sick”
But Radhika was  trying to grab those drops in her hand , splashed that onto Padma’s face.
“what is this Radhika, come let’s go”
Radhika repeated her action, Padma also didn’t leave any chance, that she started playing around too, the laugh filled the air along with the rain drops.
“They paused for a second, Radhika extended her arm out, Padma looked at her,  and then with a smile held her daughter’s hands and circled her fingers around hers.
 Radhika held them tight in hers  and they started turning around, circles after circles, and from slow to high speed and finally they both got goofy that holding onto each other they sat on the floor.
Padma looking up at the sky : you know what Radhika, this was my favorite hobby when it used to rain back in our village.  your dad loved it so much, if you have noticed his work, it was always near the wet lands... And the rain drops hide the tear drops from her eyes as the her memory flashed in her mind. Radhika just listened to her mom
“Ha Radhika,  I told you about the greenery around, and muddy paths and I used to run against the wind, and play around like a free bird”
Time ticked by, the lips stopped its movements, and the sound from dripping drops from a tall tree broke the silence.
“mom, let’s go down”
Hu???
Padma came back to reality, and said : ha beta
They got up and walked down holding onto each other,
“I am sure you will get sick tomorrow”
Padma tred to touch Radhika’s head
“if I get sick, then you will be sick too mom”
They laughed and went inside their house.
Dev moved from  the window, he don’t know what they were talking , but he has seen their laugh, their happiness being in this rain. Have I ever enjoyed rain like this? Did I ever play around in rain? Ha I did, with dadaji, but that day I got  ear full from mom and dadi.
He smiled thinking of that scolding time. But somewhere inside he felt happy that RAdhika’s smile again brought that energy back into him. He was still holding onto the tea cup.
***
Dev take the pictures ok, please, I just want to tease her later,
“Ok , auntie” saying that Dev moved to a corner
PAdma: there she comes
As Radhika was coming back from the college, her eyes widened seeing a red color scooter in their porch
Padma wink her eye at Dev ,. Maheswari was  waiting near the fence watching the reactions, wanting to see RAdhika’s response
Walking near the scooter Radhika stood with no words
Padma with the happiest ever smile: so what you think?
Radhika moved near and touched the handle and then turned the handle, and said : good, but I told you
“ ok, no more but, its my gift for you, your birthday is coming right, I thought I will give you at that time, but then thought ..ummm anyway I was planning to  buy one for you, then why to wait, a gift at any time is good , right, so  now tell me”
Radhika just went and hugged her mom and said in her ears : very beautiful, but mom
Pushing her shoulder back and with a smile : now no excuses, take a round , let me see.
Padma took the bag from Radhika’s hand, and made her to sit, and she turned the key in to start.
As she was trying to take a turn, she clearly saw his reflection in the mirror,  she paused for a second, and found his more closer, she saw the camera coming up and making a click, suddenly she turned to look at him and  he clicked again
“Dev”
With a smile he moved to the front asking “so, you like it”
“so you two are joined”
“what else, I need some company Radhika, how can I hold on to you all the time, and for this even if I ask for your help, you won’t be agreeing , right, so”
“um, nice excuse”
“Radhika, get ready fast, let’s go to temple first ok”
“um but first give me a ride to my home, then you can take this to anywhere?’
Radhika looked at Dev who was coming holding his camera in hand, and with a smile
“Dev, what is this, come , I think Padma said right, first she should take this to temple only, and then you can ride on it how much ever you want”
“that I will mom, but let me see whether Radhika can ride this well or not, what if she has any doubt’
“as if he knows everything” Mahi said with little tease tone
‘ha mom,I know everything”
Saying that he came and sat behind Radhika and said ; um, chalo, drop me at home.
Padma and Mahi just smiled seeing Dev sitting behind Rahika in that scooter
“it’s a shame Dev, w hat if someone see you sitting behind a scooter like this “ Mahi said with keeping her hand over her forehead
 “how it be a shame, I don’t feel any shame, Radhika, take na”
 Radhika looked at Padma and then slowly rolled the scooter towards the gate.
 Dev just enjoyed that close proximity with Radhika, that he smiled seeing her shaking on handle few times to gain the balance.
 “ relax Radhika, it same only, I am not taking any test of you”
 Radhika didn’t say anything but concentrated on the slow going of the vehicle
 They took the turn and crossing to the next gate, they drove thru the drive way and Radhika was about to stop, he said “ Porch”
 Radhika was getting the scooter into the porch, Dev noticed Mahi giving signal to padma as if telling “this dev bhi na”
Quickly Dev moved his head further near her ears and said “why you need to say sorry, you have all the right to come into my room at any time, she is just my coworker”
 The scooter lost the balance and was almost  fell on its side, Dev held the handle straight and Radhika applied the break hard.
 Padma and Mahi ran towards them, Dev got down and said: nothing mom, I was just checking whether Radhika can drive it safely, she passed the test.
 “but are you ok beta”
 “um, perfect” Dev said with a smile
 “Radhika come and get ready quick, ok.’
 With her dried mouth she followed her mom’s words, and went inside to get ready. Dev smiled feeling little relief.
 But then after that, Radhika was trying to avoid any such situations, and she got really busy into her studies  and with the year end exams.
 Time was passing  quick and Radhika was planning on vacation time activities along with Padma. Pari went to village to spend time with dadaji and dadi.   Dev got the responsibility to drop pari in village. This time Dev was not happy and was in total confusion this time with his village trip, and it was clearly shown  on his face. He wished to spend that little time with Radhika, she was hiding behind those closed windows with the reasoning of her exams, and he eagerly waited for it to open for the breeze to circle in her room…
 Seeing the little irritated face, Dadaji with a smile: why my grandson, why I am seeing this irritation on your face? Um?
 Dev uninterestingly: hu?
 Dadaji with a smile: earlier when you were in Gulf, you were very impatient to come and spend time with me, now what happened, you promised you will spend every weekend with me, but it seems like that spirit is gone now, why?
 Dev stood silently
 “Dev, I am asking you something’
 Dev: nothing like that dadaji
 “see again ‘dadaji’, that addressing itself  clearly giving me the distance you are standing from me, you are my buddy, tell me what is that bothering you
 Dev folding his arms across chest: nothing dadaji, I am fine
 “no, there is something , so only I called you without giving you any chance for making that  excuses, come here” ..
Dev looked at his dadaji, who was waving his hand asking him to come near.
 Dev slowly walked near to his dadaji and sat next to him
 “so, tell me is she beautiful?
 Dev in trance: ha pops. Very
 Dadaji controlled his smile: did you tell her?
 “no, actually” with a hopeful eyes he turned to look at his dadaji’s face to continue, but then realizing the trick, he paused and looked at dadaji unbelievably
 Dadaji keeping his hands over dev’s shoulder: ha ha, now I caught you, very bad Dev, very bad, why the hesitation to tell me, now no excuse for you, tell me everything about it.
 Dev pausing for few seconds “no dadaji, actually there is nothing”
 Dadaji : don’t try to fool me Dev, you said it to me already, now say it all clearly, I am ready to listen...
 Dev: its true dadaji, I know I love to see her, I love to watch her actions, when I don’t see her I feel worried, when I don’t see her smile I feel the ache, I just love her presence near me .
 “and you love her”
 “ha dadaji” the sponatneuos answer again brought a smile on his dadaji 's face, but Dev’s face went pale
 Dadaji with more interest: and did you tell her?
 Dev’s gaze went down, and with a disappointed tone he nodded his head in disagreement
 “may I know why?’
 Dev looked back at his dadaji: I don’t know pops, I know I always told you that when I fall in love, I say it loud so that the world can hear it, but pops I don’t know, its not coming the way I dreamed, or I said earlier, when I see her, her one glance itself gives me the message, her conscious avoidance telling me that she loves me, her little actions sometimes tells me that she is doing it just for me.
 “ha ha ha ha, umm, so that’s the problem”
 Dev looking at his teasing dadaji: what?
 “beta, just tell her what is in your mind, and then you will feel much better”
 “but dadaji, how can I?, I mean there are many restrictions”
 “what restriction?’
 “like her mom, gave me the responsibility to find a groom for her?’
 “ha ha ha ha. Dev, so her mom already rejected you”
 “not like that pops”
 What not like that?, what about her dad?’
 Dev : no dadaji, she doesn’t have anyone else than her mom
 Dadaji’s face went serious: what are you saying Dev?
 “her dad died when she was so little”
 “oh ok, then”
 “her mom is a college lecturer”
 “ok, then”
 “I don’t know anything else pops, I don’t know how to tell it either.
 Her mom’s dreams are attached to her only, she want her daughter also to join the same college as a lecturer, and you know”
 “stop there Dev, so what is the problem in telling her your mind then?  What is lacking in you? You are looking handsome just like me”
 “pops”
 “ha, don’t you think so, um, then, you have a nice job, a lovely family, we all are there to give you support, then”
 “will it be ok dadaji?’
 “um, and once you tell her your mind na, this depression also will fade away from your face”
 Dev smiled listening to his dadaji
 “and you know what, maybe she is waiting desperately to hear it from you”
 “you think so pops?” and his face beamed with hope
 Um, why not, who can reject my grandson’s proposal, I want to see”
Dev giving a hug to dadaji “will she listen to me dadaji, will she say yes to me?’
Dadaji with a smile: why not? For this simple thing you were showing this moody face to me, and unwilling to come here, no more, and next time when you come bring her also, I want to meet her, and if she don’t , then tell her your dadaji  is coming to meet her, there ok”
Dev gave a tight hug to his dadaji: thank you dadaji
 “um, but now I don’t want to see this moody face anymore, promise me”
 “no, not at all, Now I have more courage pops, when you are with me, why should I worry”
"Remember that all the time, ok”
Time was ticking by and their love talk went on. The darkness around and the chill of the night gave his mind more colorful thoughts, his heart was beating faster imagining the moment, but how, when? She won’t come that often, and even if she comes she act so normally, or won’t give any chance  for me to ask anything further.. anyway tomorrow I will make you to admit it Radhika.”
Next day after breakfast, Dev left to his home, getting a thumbs up from his dadaji. He was smiling and he was speeding to get there, still calculating in his mind how to get her alone to say his heart out. How she will react, no I won’t give her any chance to hide it this time.
The bubbling heart, see the long distance that he has to cover to reach his destinatin, but he loved the moment as the wind blow against his body.  As he took the turn towards his house line, he looked around for her, but to his surprise, he saw people walking towards his direction of movement.
“is there any function going on near by? Never heard or seen one after coming here, then where these people are going?’..... he tightened his forehead as   it was getting more crowdie towards his gate , mostly by youngsters. He slowed down the bike, his heart skipped few beats, seeing the crowd moving in and out near his gate, he further slowed down and then unable to move forward, stopping the bike he got down from the bike and walked holding the handle, none of the noise  around was making any sense to him, and his throat went dry to ask someone about the happening .
He saw people standing in front of Radhika’s house, everyone with a gloomy face, He pulled the bike to his house porch. He looked for familiar face, and found Gopal standing there discussing something seriously with one of the older person.  Dev took a high jump over the brick fence and went near his dad.
Seeing Dev, Gopal excused himself from the talk and walked near to Dev
 “I called home and babuji said you already started, so”
Dev didn’t say anything, but went inside Radhika’s house.
His heart stopped seeing the image of Padma laying calmly in the center of the hall, her body was covered by  a white sheet, and her eyes were closed, and her nostrils were packed with white cotton balls. His legs got weaker that unable to carry his body weight, he kneeled down on the floor near her foot end, looking at her lifeless image....

No comments:

Post a Comment